Depression, no matter the cause, level of severity, of length of time a person has suffered should be taken seriously. Feeling down and blue is something everyone experiences at some point in life but when this feeling becomes overwhelming and long-lasting, more than likely depression has set in. Although there are times when conventional medicine is needed to treat this mental condition there are many times when natural cures are the best treatment.
Before providing some of the more effective natural cures for depression, we wanted to mention a couple of key points. For starters, of the approximate 20 million adults in the United States with depression, the majority never seek treatment. This means that millions of people are suffering from the effects of
depression needlessly. If at any time an individual notices a feeling of sadness worsens or lasts longer than a few days, it is imperative to talk to a qualified doctor.
While depression can be the result of a traumatic experience such as divorce, major illness, death of a loved one, loss of a job, and so on, it can also be associated with an underlying health problem. For example, both anemia and hypothyroidism product symptoms of depression so in these cases, the health
problem would need to be addressed along with the depression. While many people respond well to natural cures for depression, some do not so again, talking to a doctor would be essential.
There are multiple options for treating depression naturally, with some of the most effective and safe being those listed below.
It has been proven time and time again that diet plays a key role in a person’s health. The same is true for depression in that consuming the wrong foods would make the problem worse whereas a proper diet would produce a significant improvement. For this, sweets, as well as alcohol should be avoided.
Interestingly, a lot of resources have been quoted as saying that someone with depression should also avoid caffeine but in truth, a study conducted over a ten-year period and involving more than 86,000 nurses shows the complete opposite. According to this long-term and massive study, risk of suicide associated with depression in women was reduced by a whopping 66% in those who drank three cups of coffee a day.
Most people do not get an appropriate level of nutrition, which has been directly linked to depression. For this reason, another one of the most effective natural cures for depression is in the form of nutritional supplements. For example, vitamin B6 works by balancing out dopamine and serotonin, both
neurotransmitters that enhance a person’s mood. If someone has a deficiency of this vitamin, depression would be expected.
Some of the other natural cures for depression as far as nutritional supplements are concerned include the following:
- S-Adenosyl-Methionine – More commonly referred to as SAM-e, this supplement has shown great promise in treating depression. Compared to prescription medication, studies show that SAM-e is not only more effective but it produces relief from symptoms of depression faster. The important thing about taking SAM-e is choosing a supplement that also contains B vitamins 6 and 12.
- St. John’s Wort – Of all supplements used as natural cures for depression, this is one of the most popular. People who take 900 milligrams of St. John’s Wort a day experience noted relief. One thing of importance is that this particular supplement can have negative interactions with certain prescription medications so it would be necessary to talk to a doctor prior to using St. John’s Wort.
- Folate – Because most people do not have adequate levels of this B vitamin, folate is essential for everyone but for someone with depression, it is more vital in that it offers much-needed relief. In fact, along with relief from symptoms of depression, folate helps with fatigue. In addition to supplements, folate is found in certain foods such as broccoli, beets, spinach, asparagus, beef liver, lentils, and garbanzo beans.
- Selenium – This mineral is also important for treating depression. While available in supplement form,selenium is also found in certain foods such as Brazil nuts, garlic, beef, poultry, and whole grains.
- Magnesium – This nutritional supplement is also rated among the best natural cures for depression, as well as anxiety by promoting a calming effect.
Daily exercise is also one of the best natural cures for depression. Interestingly, study after study shows that people who get between 30 and 60 minutes of exercise a day are at less risk for developing depression. However, for people who already live with this mental condition, exercise is just as critical for
reducing symptoms, especially aerobic type exercise in the great outdoors.
Exercise is great for boosting mood and it works quickly. Experts agree that exercise done daily and outdoors in sunshine whenever possible has a direct impact on the neurotransmitter system. People with this condition who use other natural cures for depression without exercise do not achieve the same level of results as those who use different cures along with daily exercise.